As Customers Scale, Ambassador Scales
Published on Jul 22, 2020
New security and performance capabilities available in Ambassador API Gateway 1.6 help organizations bolster developer performance and further reduce risk.
Boston, MA – July 21, 2020 – Datawire, the company behind the most popular Kubernetes-native API gateway, Ambassador, today announced new security and performance enhancements to help development teams further reduce risk when exposing their cloud-native applications to end-users.
Organizations are increasingly using Ambassador to expose, secure, and manage traffic to support larger and more sophisticated applications. Customers have now placed Ambassador into production with requirements as high as 500,000 requests per second (RPS) and jumps from 5 million users to 15 million in less than 10 minutes. In addition, as Ambassador’s customer base has grown into financial services, healthcare, and government agencies, security requirements for the Edge Stack has increased.
Operationally, the Ambassador team invests in activities such as regular 3rd-party security audits and penetration tests. Additionally, the Ambassador team is part of the Envoy security lists and has strong patch management protocols in place. This allows the team to react rapidly to implement Envoy Proxy security vulnerability patches to prevent risks to organizations using Ambassador from ongoing threat vectors.
Specific product enhancements in Ambassador 1.6 include:
- Improved performance for larger clusters to minimize latency as configuration changes are made.
- New “RPS Speedometer” (in the Ambassador Edge Stack only) provides visibility on all traffic through the gateway as well as authenticated traffic. This information will help end-users to better understand workloads.
- New real-time schema validation feature allows Kubectl to synchronously validate input resources on Kubernetes 1.14+. Users can validate CRDs to check that fields are used correctly (e.g. port number must be an integer).
- Adherence to recent penetration test requirements performed by Synopsys, Inc.
Additional Information & Resources
- Ambassador Edge Stack 1.6 is available today. Developers can install their free copy from getambassador.io.
- Read more about the Ambassador team’s approach to security and availability.
- Read more about Ambassador Edge Stack on our company blog.
Datawire develops the most popular API gateway solution for Kubernetes. Built on the industry-leading Envoy Proxy, Ambassador Edge Stack is available in both open-source and commercial editions. The ease of installation, breadth of services, and support for full-cycle development have resulted in thousands of companies adopting Ambassador Edge Stack, including Microsoft, PTC, Nvidia, and Ticketmaster. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Datawire has development locations around the world, including Portland, Oregon, and Montreal, Canada. Developers and operations teams can download a free community edition of Ambassador at www.getambassador.io .